Monday, October 5, 2009

Twilight


Monday, October 5th, 2009 3:31AM Yes, I know I am crazy...
For months I have been thinking about this blog…ahhh…7 months to be exact. God only knows how long it has been since the first entry. When I began this particular blog I was visiting my mother in Palm Beach. This recipe originally sparked my memory during this particular visit with my mother when I picked up the first edition of the Twilight book series- and then my love affair began.

Yes, I stayed up many nights turning page after page and even drove to Blockbuster at midnight to rent the movie when it first became available on DVD. The man on the island looked at me like I was crazy when I walked in asking if there where copies still available. I am probably the ONLY, and I mean ONLY person looking for that movie on DVD for a good 30 mile radius in the middle of March. Yes, Blockbuster also delivered my DVD in the mail the next day as well. You see, I had to cover all the bases. I knew I was about to travel again and needed a portable version with me on the road. Ahhhhh, I fell asleep to Twilight every night for a month!

I confess…I have jumped on the Twilight train and never looked back- not once even after everyone made fun of me for being so obsessed with a young adult vampire book.

So many different dishes passed through my mind whenever I was reminded that Edward didn’t eat human food. I thought about all of the dishes that he wasn’t able to enjoy during his lifetime: Duck Confit, Sushi, Lamb, Korean BBQ, Fried Chicken- the savory list obviously goes on and on. But, one particular sweet dish always reminds me of Twilight due to the blood red color (plus it’s my personal favorite)- Red Velvet Cupcakes!

In many Red Velvet Cake recipes the red food coloring is usually a bright fake red which isn’t very- well sexy in my opinion. If I start to think about all of the food coloring that is used to make it that blood red color I get anxious about it not being very natural. So, I usually try to talk myself into using a beet juice coloring but then the color is all wrong. In this recipe the cocoa cake is so dense that when you add the coloring the outcome is this gorgeous blood-like rich red color. Topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting and cocoa nibs…ugh…I will suck the life out of that cupcake any day!

A few weeks ago I was at the Ole Miss football game. As we prepared for tailgating in ‘The Grove’ we popped in to this adorable little foodie store in the heart of Oxford. On the menu was a Red Velvet Cheesecake Bar. And you know we walked out with ½ dozen of them in a box. I haven’t quite figured out my recipe to recreate those most delicious treats but when I do…I will let you know! Until then, this is truly my recipe for a love story….with Red Velvet Cupcakes.

Now…go bake…read…and ENJOY!

Recipe

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Prep Time: 1½ Hours
Yields: 2 Dozen

Ingredients for Cupcakes:
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Chocolate covered cocoa nibs or espresso beans (optional)

Method for Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl combine butter and sugar. Using a mixer on high speed beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each one.
4. In a separate small mixing bowl combine cocoa powder with the boiling water. Using a whisk or an emersion blender to dissolve cocoa powder entirely into hot water.
5. Add cocoa water, buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar and red food coloring to butter mixture and mix carefully on low speed.
6. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly.
7. On low speed gradually add dry mixture to the wet making sure to mix well.
8. This batter is thinner than most cake batters. It’s less messy if you pour the batter into a glass liquid measuring cup and then pour the batter into the muffin pan. Fill the cups to just about the rim of the liner. They will not rise very much- but will be SUPER moist!
9. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan to ensure even baking. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
10. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
11. Cover with frosting, the recipe is below. Garnish with chocolate covered cocoa nibs or chocolate covered espresso beans.
12. Close your eyes and taste that sweet red velvety passion run all the way down your throat. If temptation gets the best of you…go ahead…have another. I won’t tell.

Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
5 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsps milk (optional)

Method for Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Using a mixer on medium speed beat until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add in confectioners’ sugar and mix until well blended.
3. You can add a tablespoon of milk at a time if you desire a thinner frosting consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment