Monday, October 19, 2009

The simple things in life.





Thursday October 15, 2009 8:01pm
The simple things in life. That really is the honest to goodness truth sometimes isn’t it?

A few weeks ago I received the seasonal email from Krispy Kreme announcing the arrival of the Halloween Doughnuts. Apparently, they have a few cool flavors this year- the spider web doughnut, the pumpkin glazed, and the pumpkin spice cake doughnut. This brings a total of 5 Halloween doughnuts to the table this season.

Naturally, I make it a top priority to not only talk about it excessively but to drive first thing even if it is in the middle of the night to get a dozen. Yes, I said “get a dozen.” Because no matter if I live alone or with 10 other people I will always buy a dozen. I mean at $7.55 including tax- I am not exactly breaking the bank here.

I have actually been following their stock for years…When will this company pull through already? When will America step up and make a commitment to ensure that Krispy Kreme will be a success for another 72 years? I made a vow a long time ago to my family when I first wanted to buy Krispy Kreme stock and if you know my family, you know they looked at me like I was nuts each and every time I made such a statement (and never let me buy the stock)!

When I arrived at the Ponce de Leon location I was forced to go through the drive-thru window. My schedule just doesn’t permit me to do things at normal business hours so naturally they were closed. Pretty bummed because I just adore going in and sitting at a table and watching the doughnuts plop down into the oil, get magically flipped, drained and dunked into that creamy vat of icing. Last but definitely not least each doughnut gets handpicked with the dip stick and then snuggled nicely into a box and handed off nice and warm to the customer behind the counter. I get the simplest feeling of joy by going and watching through the window. Maybe, just maybe one day I will get the pleasure to witness first hand- and maybe even get to use the dip stick!!!

I remember when my parents moved to North Carolina and they took me to my very first Krispy Kreme store. The store in Raleigh was the second location to be built, with the first in Winston Salem where the company was founded. I hold that memory closer to my heart then a lot of other things and I have never been able to pinpoint why…

Ok- to split it up I ordered 6 regular glazed and 6 Halloween inspired doughnuts (1 of each of the seasonal and 1 extra pumpkin spice).

And the verdict is...the original with the orange coating is a bit too aggressive. It tastes funny and I’m not sure if I could compare the tasting to anything specific. The pumpkin and the spider were both filled and honestly I am not a huge fan of filled doughnuts. Next was the traditional with icing and sprinkles- like the sprinkles but it only had one bite from me. The last flavor I tried was the pumpkin spice cake- naturally my favorite. It is perfect, I mean not as perfect as the original glazed but definitely my favorite of the season.

But, of course the only flavor that I completely devour is…..the original. I don’t really need to say more right?

My truth: is that no matter what, I promise to do everything in my power to promote Krispy Kreme. The wholesome goodness in that 210 calorie doughnut= priceless. Now look at that picture of me above- worth a million words and a million calories isn’t it. I can’t help it- Krispy Kreme just makes me happy!

Ps. thank you Krispy Kreme. Hallow on...

No comments:

Post a Comment